Saturday, February 8, 2014

No Tesla Model S for me yet (sadly)


I test drove the Tesla Model S in New York recently. And I want one. It's not just an incredible electric car. It's an incredible car. Period.

So what's the problem?

I looked into the electric grid in my province and found that it's 90 percent coal and natural gas. So yes, I could have paid a $30k premium for this clever car (vs. a gasoline car), but I would have to buy carbon offsets to be neutral in spite of the "green" motor.

I have grid envy for our neighbours next door in British Columbia where 86% of their generation is hydo-electric. It seems to me that greening the grid is the first step to making other things possible.

So I bought an efficient, gasoline car instead, along with carbon offsets to make it neutral. I'm looking forward to a greener grid in the future. In the meantime I have great admiration for Tesla's Elon Musk and consider him to be the Steve Jobs of the auto industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment